9.24.2012

Juicing

I have a confession...I am addicted to juicing.  I don't do caffeine well, and while we were working on our home the past few months I discovered a juice bar down the street called Pulp.  I began by drinking their carrot & orange juice, which is delicious.  It was a great place to start and acquire a taste for pure juice with no added sugars, syrups, etc.  I then tried their "green energy" and it is my absolute favorite!
{green energy}
I began craving it all the time and I realized that spending $6.50 several times a week was unrealistic.  I had been gifted a Jack Lalane juicer  by my mother in-law and I decided to try and make the "green energy" at home.  I knew that it was made up of kale, spinach, celery, cucumber, green apple, lemon & ginger.  At first I was worried about how much of each I should use, but I quickly realized that the apple and lemon disguise the taste of the other veggies.  You can add as little or as much of each veggie or fruit as you would like as long as you have those two.

{a few of the ingredients}
Here are some tips to making your own:
     1. Wash all fruit & veggies (preferably organic or bought at a farmers market)
     2. Juice...
  • 3-4 leaves of Kale
  • 2-4 handfuls of spinach
  • 2-3 stalks of celery
  • 1/2 - 1 whole cucumber (no need to peel if you have a good juicer)
  • 1/2 - 1 whole green apple (no need to peel if you have a good juicer)
  • 1/2 lemon (peel lemon first & then juice)
  • Cut a SMALL sliver of ginger and place in juicer (this step can be omitted)
     3.  Stir & Enjoy! 

Like I mentioned earlier there is no perfect concoction, so don't be intimidated.  If heathy eating is new to you, then juicing is an easy place to start.  Head over to Wholefoods or a local juice bar and try a few.  I love juicing, because I know that I am filling my body with real food & good nutrients.  I can say that I truly feel a difference when I juice.  I have more energy and a clearer mind.

Do you have any juice recipes that you love?  I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment